Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sharpen the Saw

I have been spending my time straining my mind "how to" pull off the upcoming Africa trip (which isn't until April). Throughout this planning process I have noticed that my brain seems to have an "fully engaged" button on it when it comes to a project that I am passionate about, but I have still not found the "disengage" button. My mind will continue to dream and ponder about things long after work hours and even into the late of night. This unhealthy behavior has caused me to pick up the old book, "7 Habits of a Highly Effective Person." I reread the section on sharpening the saw and soon realized that I was going at life HARD with a dull saw. Stephen Covey challenged the readers in his book to take a time out every day for at least an hour to sharpen the saw. Sharpening the saw may mean doing something spiritually refreshing, physically challenging, or emotionally enhancing (reading). I have been going after this and it has been very revitalizing. It has been a journey that I hope to continue on. I have noticed that the TV and my Mac drain me more than refresh my spirits. So I am striving to reach the goal of being a balanced person with some healthy routines.

Quality time with Jess/Trace
Quality time with Jesus
Exercise (ouch)
Reading

Finding balance is going to be a challenge for me, but I know that if I don't strive for it I will never find it. And if I don't find it I will continue to spend my life wearing my self out trying to cut through the trees of life going hard with a "dull" saw. It's time for this life on mine to sharpen up.