Friday, May 2, 2008

Chai With The Witch Doctors- Carl Davis


A Maasai Project Story written by Carl Davis (associate pastor from Kansas)

When we arrived at James the Chief's house in the Loitta Hills we were told that he was holding a meeting of leaders the next day and that he wanted our group to come and share with them. James was a believer.....so the invitation was no surprise. What was a surprise was that all of the leaders were witch doctors. We were told that among the Massai, the Loitta Hills is known to be the heaviest witchcraft area.....and that in the Loitta Hills - the man who is considered the witchcraft leader, was to be at our meeting.

So there we sat with the Chief, the chai, and the Witch doctors.
Prior to the meeting, Simon told me that he wanted me to share.....I was nervous...but I knew that I was supposed to.

After we had sat for awhile...Simon looks at me and says to go ahead and share. So........I basically panic. I clam up, look at one of my teammates, and ask him to go first. He doesn't flinch and starts to share. I feel like a wimp and begin to get really frustrated with myself. The second one of our team then shares.....and Simon gets really excited because he shares the same scripture that was going to read. Simon then goes into a very lengthy message.....and it seems like my opportunity to share is lost.

After Simon shares - I lean over and tell him that I know I am supposed to share with these men. He continues to speak back and forth with them....and I basically leave it in God's hands as to whether or not I am really supposed to speak.

Then Simon does again invite me to speak....and I'm ready. During the time I sat waiting, God very simply focused what I was supposed to share. The words were simple.......I had come over 8000 miles to be here, I know without a doubt that God was telling me to come, but I had never had an answer as to why I personally needed to be there. And now God had told me....that He wanted me here, for this moment, to challenge these men. I told them I had a word from God for them, that He had sent me, and that they should leave the room if they weren't able to handle it. The word was from 2 Cor. 5:14,15 and 6:2. "For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for him who died and rose again on their behalf.......Behold, now is 'The Acceptable Time,' behold, now is 'the Day of Salvation.'" The message was that because of God's great love for them, He had sent me to call them to repent, surrender their lives to Him, and lead others in the Kingdom of light rather than in the Kingdom of darkness.....real warriors follow Christ, every other way is easier. For this whole meeting (approx. 1 and a half hours at least - these men sat and listened...)

But they didn't come to Christ - I did know I had done what God sent me for. After I had shared - Simon spoke some more and we got up to leave. The head witch doctor asked if we would pray for him personally...which we did...and he seemed very moved by our prayers.

After we left...Simon informed me that this was a miraculous meeting:
-James (the Christian chief) counted this meeting a miracle.....he shared that these men commonly refused to meet with Christians, let alone listen without arguing.
-Although I didn't know it because of the language barrier - I had preached exactly what Simon had to these men...and he told them that it was proof that God was speaking to them.
-Simon had challenged them to point to anything that was said that wasn't true and they didn't.
-The lead witch doctor told Simon that the next time he came to visit them he would change.