Monday, August 25, 2008

Nairobi (Nair-robbery)

I have heard many people call Kenya's capital city Nair-robbery, but I have never come face to face with that reality until...now.

After our trip to Sudan I decided to stay in Kenya for 3 days to check up on some of the new churches that were planted last April and possibly catch a peak at the wildabeast migration near a game reserve. Well neither of the two happened. When my translator and I were getting ready to head to the bush I decided to buy a blanket so I wouldn't shiver all night in the bush. I got my wallet out and purchased my blanket then made my way to our car. While I was putting the blanket into my car I began to panic because I noticed that my wallet was missing. I ran back to the clerk and asked if I left it on his counter and he politely said,"no." Cameras were on him and he seemed trustworthy, but the 80 yard route from his counter to my car was full of people and it soon became evident that somebody had snatched my wallet. We talked to security and they were little help and I had no idea what to do next.
No passport
No drivers License
No insurance card
No vaccination records
No identity

I went to a hostel with a computer to google what I was suppose to do when this stuff takes place and discovered that I would need to take a police report to the US Embassy.

So I went to the closest police station and as soon as they noticed the MZUNGU "whiteman" the police tried to separate me from my translator and were going to bribe me for their services. So I did what any nice Christian would do. I said, "forget you!" and walked out on them.

We finally found an honest police station to file a report for less than a 1USD as compared to the 100+USD it may have cost at the other place.

While waiting in the embassy I sat by a Somalian-American woman clothed in a Muslim dress. I was distressed with all that had been taken away from me. The woman then told me her situation. Her husband had secretly married another woman in Somalia, and he was in the process of stealing six of her eight kids. He was going to take them back to Somalia-a place of constant civil war. After she told me what she was going through I realized that my situation was really nothining in comparison. My heart went out to this lady and I offered to pray to Jesus for her. She quickly said "no Allah." I told her that I was a Christian and that I could only pray to Jesus. She then smiled and said, "Thank You."

This interaction with this woman was well worth my 3 days of headaches and stress. As I have heard it quoted before, "Sometimes interruptions are God's appointments."

God did a great work in my heart while interacting with multiple Somalian Muslims that day. I am not sure what will come of it but my heart leaped when I read this article from the Olympics today. Its worth the read check it out.