Thursday, February 25, 2010

Was it Dangerous?

"Was it Dangerous?" I have gotten that question from a few of my prayer partners and wanted to update people in regards to the dangers of my last trip.

Three Strikes
While I was there we encountered three strikes. One of the strikes was over people wanting land, another was a communist group with a political agenda, and the third was a group of workers at a border crossing.

During the communist strike in Nepal no vehicles were aloud to use the major road. This forced us to rent a rickshaw (three wheeled bicycle) for 8 km. By the time we got to the strike zone the people had cleared and only the stones across the road remained.

When I was on my way back to India another strike erupted at the border crossing. Our vehicle was surrounded by a mob of people who were upset and yelling because of some type of nut they were trying to import. Despite all of the yelling the people finally came to an agreement and opened the bridge again.

The Closed Region
Maybe I was just naive, but I don't know if I had ever felt safer than the week that I spent in the closed region. I met with four house churches and even got to share my faith with a few unbelievers who were very interested in the gospel.

This area is slowly opening up to the gospel, but sharing your faith and building churches is still punishable by prison. In the past some Christians were put into a dark underground prison for 5 to 7 years. It was said that when prisoners were released that they would often be blind. I spoke to one man who actually came to Christ in prison due to his fellow Christian inmates. So it appears that not even prison is stopping these beleivers that are fully surrendered to Christ.

God is doing a great work in this area and I am currently strategizing with a team o on how we can 'up the octane' on this movement next year. It appears to be evident that 'now is the time.'

The Brothel
It was a little intimidating for my team to go into a walled in Brothel to interview street workers, but we went for it. My translator said that the people in red light districts have a reputation for grabbing bags and running, but we fund no "thieves" there. As we interacted with some street workers we invited them to join us for tea outside of the Brothel. However, there was a man and a woman there who must have thought that we were bad for their business and asked us to leave. They said that if we weren't there for business then we needed to go.

For our short time there we couldn't hope but notice that many of the girls with in the walls of the Brothel were teenagers. They seemed to have a mask on, were very closed, and never revealed any of their personal stories to us. It is believed that many of the girls in this Brothel had either been kidnapped or tricked into doing this profession and are now trapped. I have a gut feeling that with God's help I will be back and hopefully have a better plan of how to get these girls to open up.